Monday, July 25, 2005

Shitty Week

As if the boob incident wasn’t enough for a week, I also confirmed my suspicions that our host family had been lying to us about some stuff. Nothing really important, but enough to make me distrust them. Ever tried living with people you don’t trust and pretended to be nice to them in order to make the stay a little more bearable? If you have, then you know how hard it is.

Anyway, I woke up excited that it was Friday and we were getting ready for the weekend. Max was going with me in the morning to my mini-project, and then we were going to Morocelì, our volunteer visit town, to show the rest of the trainees a computer center there. We had a good time when we were there, and were looking forward to seeing some of the places and people we’ve seen. After the visit to the computer center, we all decided to take a walk to a waterfall in town. It is really pretty and the locals think it is blessed, because it has been flowing water constantly as long as they can remember. While we were enjoying the waterfall someone (we assume local kids) started throwing rocks at us trough the bushes. We couldn’t see who it was because they were hiding behind trees so I suggested we head out of there. As we are getting ready to leave, I got hit by a pretty big rock on the elbow. The rock made a small bruise in my skin and it hurt for the rest of the evening, but what that rock meant hurt me a lot inside. As soon as it hit me, I couldn’t control the emotions I had been holding all week and cried. In front of all our friends and Honduran teachers. I cried like a little girl, with gasps of emotion impeding my breath. When I could speak again, I asked my Honduran teachers if this were the people we were here to help. People that disrespect women, that lie to us, that throw rocks as us.

This has been a shitty week that has made me change in many ways. I came here with an open heart, with every emotional shield down, ready to embrace the experience and get in touch with people. I am starting to learn that in order to keep my sanity that might not be possible.

6 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this is why I like this blog. The woman telling it like it's happening, straight from the heart. Peace work, it's been often observed, is much harder than hating work.Your true bravery continues to impress. Love, K

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Often the people who need love the most are the most unlovable- just one of lifes many tricky fascets.Lynnette, your beautiful open heart is vulnerable, but it is what has allowed you to see the good in people. You and Max are giving something wonderful- yourselves. Love and respect, B.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynnette,
I'm sorry to hear this. I hope things improve for you and that you are strengthened by knowing that your friends and family are thinking about you and Max.
BIG HUG,
--Ryan

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynnette,

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad experiences although I definitely could imagine you kicking the crap out of that disgusting man on the street. I'm only sorry that I wasn't there to help you. That said, I'm sure he realized at that moment that not everyone accepts the ways things are. Some people (like you) fight for change whether it is cursing out that stupid ignorant idiot or by helping those women (and countless others) in your mini-proyetos. Keep fighting!!

Love,
Karla

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynnette,

Sorry to hear you haven't had the best of weeks. Keep in mind that if everyone in Honduras were as civilized and progressed as we're used to people being, the Peace Corps wouldn't be in Honduras. I'm sure it's frustrating but you wouldn't have joined peace corps if you didn't think it was worth it. If anyone can make a difference it's you and Max. Also, Swetha says next time a guy does that, just kick him in the pinga (that's what she does to me and it seems to work...) - Jeff & Swetha

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Querida hija
Me apena mucho leer esto. Lamento no poder hablar contigo tan amenudo como quisiera. A veces en la vida recibimos golpes que nos duelen mucho, pero es de nosotros saber levantarnos con mas fuerza cada dia. Yo voy a ti y siempre estare para ti. Cuidate mucho mi amor. Mami

 

Post a Comment

<< Home