The Girl That Was Born Speaking
Ela Diosmira Valladares can be described as the cutest, smartest little girl you’ll ever meet. She has the most beautiful brown skin and long, wild, curly brown hair. Her big brown eyes are full of light and the innocence of those who have yet to experience life. She’s has the cutest combination of baby and adult teeth. She loves spending time with us, especially playing cards. We’ve taught her how to play UNO and War and she practices during the day to “beat Max when you guys get home tonight”.
Nohemy says that something special happened the day Ela was born. After the doctors bathed the baby and returned her to her mother, Ela looked at her mom directly in the eyes and said “Mama, Mama, Mama”. Nohemy tells us that it really scared her that the baby was born speaking, and it created a huge commotion at the hospital. Everybody knew about the girl that spoke the day she was born, and they all wanted to meet her. Nohemy had to start telling everybody hers wasn’t the girl that spoke in order to get some privacy.
Like me, you might find this story hard to believe, but the more time I spend with Ela, the more I think she really is an exceptional person that was probably born speaking. For example, I was amazed the other day when I asked her to find a book I could read to her. She gave me a book about the Earth, the planets, and the Universe. I started reading about the solar system, and she interrupted me to explain how the Sun is in the center of the solar system and all the planets rotate around it. She also said that the Sun only shines on one side of Earth at a time, and that is why we have night and day. I was shocked… this 6 year old that is not yet in Kindergarten because she’s not old enough, and who cannot read, can explain the wonders of our solar system. Things like this happen with Ela all the time.
Ela’s 5 year old cousin, Fátima, just got her picture taken for her passport to visit the US with her parents. One afternoon, as we were seated outside enjoying a beautiful sunset, Ela looked at me with her bright, wishful eyes and told me how her cousin would get to go on a plane and see the clouds and travel. There was a slight sadness in her eyes… the kind of sadness of those who know there’s a lot more out there and wish to be part of it. I really hope Ela gets her opportunities: to go to Kindergarten soon, as she so strongly wishes, to then go to college, to travel, to be the strong independent woman she can be.
2 Comments:
Hey guys. Mary Moon here- an old friend of Max's parents. I am reading your posts with great interest and loving them.
I wanted to tell you that babies speaking at birth is something that I have read about. It's always under the guise of "old midwives' tales" but I believe it's possible. Great things are expected of children who do this.
My own oldest child laughed aloud the first night of his life after birth.
I'm sure that if Ela had been born in the United States and done the same thing, it would have been dismissed as a complete coincidence of random verbalization and yes, could be.
But maybe not.
Thank you for writing about the people you meet. Ela sounds very special.
Hi Mary Moon, that's really cool about babies speaking at birth. Thanks for sharing!!
We're also glad you're reading.
-M & L
Post a Comment
<< Home