Sunday, June 26, 2005

Selling Bread

That afternoon, the business group went on a field trip in the Embassy’s Land Rovers. When the day was done, I talked our teacher into driving us to El Porvenir to buy some of the bread. Everybody was excited to taste it, I had already told them how fun the morning had been, and they were happy to support the group. When we got there, all the bread had been already sold!!! That was great news.

However, there had been problems. The oven had not heated as much as needed, and they had to take the bread out half way to re-heat the oven. It took them all day to do this, and the bread did not grow as much as they had expected. They ended up having fewer amounts than planned and probably lost money in the process. I should have insisted they sell it for more than 1 Lempira (about 5 cents) a piece. We spent about 195 Lempira on ingredients and, though they hadn’t counted yet, they were pretty sure they had not made the 200 pieces necessary to make a profit.

I was sad about the loss, but feeling positive about the prospects. The bread had sold in a few hours which mean there’s a demand for it. It also probably means that people will be willing to pay more for it. This had also been a great lesson for all of us.

I said goodbyes, and reminded them that I would pick up María and Florita the next day to go to Mercado San Juan to ask permission to sell pottery there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home