Re-Learning Spanish
“Spanish is always Spanish no matter where you are. It doesn’t matter where you learned it, once you know Spanish you’ll be able to communicate effectively with other Spanish speakers.” That was always my answer when people in the US asked me if I spoke Mexican, Puerto Rican, or some other form of Spanish. After a few weeks in Honduras I’ve learned this statement is not 100% accurate. Yes, Spanish is the same everywhere, but the shared values and experiences of a country deeply affect its language.
In Puerto Rico, Spanish is very informal. People talk to each other in the most informal form of the word you; “Tú”, even if they just met each other. Words are abbreviated left and right, letters in words are not fully pronounced, and we have open handedly embraced English in our daily communication. Honduras is nothing like that.
In Honduras everybody speaks formal Spanish. Words are pronounced completely and correctly, English influence is minimal, and calling anybody “Tú” without their consent is considered disrespectful. This has been a challenge for me. I find it hard to call a child “Usted”, the formal form of “Tú”, only reserved in PR to formal business meetings with superiors. I have already been called on it by my teachers and host mother, and still am struggling to adjust. There are also the same words with different interpretations. For example the word “cojer” is used in daily conversation back home and it means “to take”. In Honduras the word “cojer” means “to f*ck”. Here I am constantly “cojiendo” something.
All and all it’s been a challenge to change what’s already wired in my brain. But I also have to admit that it is nothing compared to the challenge some of our friends are facing of learning a new language. I am having fun with it (it’s always a good laugh when I say something inappropriate) and I try to make myself available to those that are learning Spanish for the first time.
2 Comments:
Mi querida hija:
Me alegra mucho estes viviendo estas experiencias de vida y que me hayas dado la oportunidad de vivirlas contigo.
Estoy a tu lado en todo momento en pensamiento y amor.
Te quiero mucho, eres alguien muy especial para mi xxxxoxoxox
Gracias Mami... yo también te quiero mucho y me hacen mucha falta. ¿Cuando vienen a visitarnos?
Post a Comment
<< Home