Sunday, June 12, 2005

The Bus Ride

As I got on the bus my heart was filled with emotion. I have to admit some of the days here have been hard. I’ve missed the comforts of home, I’ve missed family and friends, I’ve been sick and tired and I’ve wondered if I’d ever grow to love this country. In my diary I had written a quote from a US military official about Honduras “This dump is the centre of the world, now” and had written: “This is how I feel right now. This place is a dump and it is the centre of my world”. But right at that moment I learned everything would be alright. I found what I can love about this country: its people. People like the woman of El Porvenir who have it so hard but live with such dignity. It was hard to keep tears from rolling down my face.

10 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynnette and Max,

Your writings are so descriptive, I feel like I'm right there with you. You are definitely missed here in Maryland and there have been times when both of you and the work that you have done have come up in conversation. Have some big news for you, I am now engaged to Jason. Long story but a good one that I will tell you later. If you are ever feeling lonely drop me an email, karla1301@yahoo.com
Cuidanse mis amigos

Karla

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow guys, I'm so proud of you and it seems this experience is already filled with up and down emotions. I know everyone back in the states and stuff miss you a lot and wish you the best. Stay safe and healthy.

Dan H.

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynnette and Max -- I am so frustrated we keep missing you online! We have started classes and working so have been rather busy. Luckily your blogs are so descriptive. I hope things are going well, It seems like things are going to get so much better once you get settled down. Lynnette your assignment sounds like an awesome opportunity to help the women of Honduras! Our love is with both of you and hopefully we can arrange to come visit when you get settled. Maybe we could join you for a vacation to a more "Seth" friendly environment. (something with air conditioning and suitable food) Hopefully you have cancelled your car insurance, everything is all set and the car is working out wonderfully. Miss you both! Let me know when you have an address I can send mail to because I am trying to learn to write again (not on a computer), and what better people to write to!

Jocelyn

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynnette & Max,

Ustedes son novelistas! I really am impressed with your stories so far. I just started reading them tonight now that we are back from FL and I couldn't stop reading until I had read them all. Swetha can't wait to read them as well. We miss you both but we are excited for you. Even though it sounds like you have met your share of challenges (glad to hear your culos are better) you will only grow from them. Good luck you guys and blog away. Now I have to get to bed as I will be continuing my equally rewarding experience at GE HFS tomorrow (carajo) --Jeff & Swetha

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynnete and Max,
I just read the entire blog today.
Wow, I am so proud of you guys. I think of you both often and will stay up to date with the blog!
Love you both!
Debbie Tennick

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, too, on reading the entire blog! (after hearing about it from Kerry and Buffy last night) Lynnette, your experience with the caja rural is very moving, and I wish I had the incredible opportunity (and courage) you have. Sounds like it will be worth all the discomforts, to be able to connect with other people on this planet in such a meaningful way. I can just see you with those women, winning them over with your sincerity and sweet personality...
Beth

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Lynnette & Max!!

No habia tenido la oportunidad de leer detenidamente sus blogs hasta ahora y a la verdad q me encantan. Me siento como si estuviese alli con ustedes. Me alegra saber q a pesar de q no es fácil están bien y sé q con el tiempo todo les va a salir mejor. Espero q disfruten toda esta experiencia a lo máximo. Quien sabe si un dia de estos me animo y me uno a ustedes... jajaja.
Cuidense mucho, besitos de parte de Fabiola, Fabiana Y Yesenia.

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Lynnette & Max!!

No habia tenido la oportunidad de leer detenidamente sus blogs hasta ahora y a la verdad q me encantan. Me siento como si estuviese alli con ustedes. Me alegra saber q a pesar de q no es fácil están bien y sé q con el tiempo todo les va a salir mejor. Espero q disfruten toda esta experiencia a lo máximo. Quien sabe si un dia de estos me animo y me uno a ustedes... jajaja.
Cuidense mucho, besitos de parte de Fabiola, Fabiana Y Yesenia.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynn & Max:

Gracias a estas notas he podido compartir con ustedes sus experiencias. Los queremos mucho y esperamos todo les vaya bien.

Mami

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

waiting for more updates

xoxoxoxoxo

rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home